Saturday, May 31, 2014

Cold-blooded

Since migration has ended, another season is at its peak through the summer months. The season for herping!

I've always had a love for all animals, for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately for snakes, my father is scared of them. So, I never really got the chance to be around or actively search for snakes.

So, now it begins.... since moving to this house, I have loved the property. In six months, I've recorded over 130 species of birds. I started flipping rocks and logs, and finding salamanders on a regular basis. We also have a healthy population of Five-lined Skinks and Green Anoles around the house and workshop. It really sparked an interest into herping for me.

As of late, I've been doing a lot of road cruising for snakes and turtles. Eastern Box Turtles are pretty active after rains, and I've been dying to find some venomous snakes down here. Mostly, I focused on trying to find Cottonmouths, but am still striking out. However, the other day, I found this handsome dude chilling out in the road after finishing a meal:




Timber Rattlesnake (crotalus horridus)

My first venomous snake (ever) wasn't the painfully common Cottonmouth or Copperhead... but a Timber! Seeing one of these snakes up close and personal gave me a new found respect (and love) for snakes, especially venomous species.

So, now I have the herping bug. Expect a lot of photos of snakes and turtles and salamanders for the remainder of the summer.

Until next time: Happy birding and herping to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment